Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

TRAVELING: PILGRIMAGE TO THE TOMB OF JESUS




PILGRIMAGE TO TOMB OF JESUS OR SEPULCHRE OF JESUS




Station XII of Via Dolorosa or Way of Suffering : where Jesus is crucified and dies on the Cross.


There are 7 saying of Jesus on the Cross a traditional collection of 7 short phrases that Jesus uttered at His crucifixion immediately before He died:

  1. Father forgive them: for they know not what they do [Luke 23: 34]





  2. Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise [Luke 23: 43]





  3. Woman, behold your son: behold your mother [John 19: 26-27]





  4. Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"[Matthew 27: 46; Mark 15: 34].





  5. I thirst [John 19:28]





  6. It is finished [John 19: 30]





  7. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit [Luke 23: 46]








Picture 41: Calvary Station XII: Crucifixion of Jesus with two malefactors by Albrecht Alddorfer, 1526.

"And there were also two other, malefactors, led with him to put to death" [Luke 23: 32]











Pic. 42: Calvary Station XII: Crucifixion of Jesus Christ with two malefactors by Paolo Veronese, sixteenth century. [Luke 23: 32]














Pic. 43 : Calvary Station XII: Crucifixion of Jesus Christ in the Greek Orthodox site of the Church of Holy Sepulchre, its located on right side of the main entrance steps up to the mound Golgotha or Calvary.

Pic. 44: Calvary Station XII , Crucifixion of Jesus Christ by Simon Vouet, 1636-37.

"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice,he said: Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit"; said this, he gave up the ghost Now when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

[Luke 23: 46-47]

No comments:

Post a Comment